Quartz Vs. Granite Countertops: Pros And Cons
In a Nutshell: Quartz vs Granite Countertops
Quartz and granite are the most popular countertop materials on the market today which is the main reason quartz vs granite countertops discussion is popular.
Both offer several benefits, but there are also some key differences. Here’s a quick overview of quartz and granite countertops to help you decide which is suitable for your home:
What is quartz?
Quartz is a man-made material that is made from natural quartz crystals.
Quartz countertops are tough and durable and resist scratching and staining better than other countertop materials. Quartz is also non-porous, so it doesn’t absorb spills or stains like granite can.
What is granite?
Granite is a natural stone that is mined from the earth. Granite countertops are also tough and durable, but they are more porous than quartz, so they can absorb spills and stains if they are not appropriately sealed.
Both granite and quartz countertops are perfect for your kitchen if you choose the best for your home.
MacLaren Kitchen and Bath provides the best countertop materials and custom cabinetry you can ever have.
Call us today at (610) 436-5436 for more details.
How Are They Made?
Quartz countertops are made from a process that begins with natural quartz crystals mined from the earth.
The quartz is then pulverized into a fine powder and combined with resin binders and colorants to create a slurry mixture.
This mixture is then poured into molds, cured, and hardened into countertop slabs.
On the other hand, granite countertops are made from a solid piece of natural stone. Granite is an igneous rock formed when molten magma cools and crystallizes.
It is composed of quartz, feldspar, and mica. Granite countertops are cut from a large block of granite and polished to create a smooth, shiny surface.
Pros And Cons Of Quartz Countertops
Quartz countertops are beautiful, durable, and easy to take care of. But they were also expensive. Here are some pros and cons to help you decide if they suit your kitchen.
- Quartz is one of the hardest minerals on earth, so quartz countertops are solid and durable.
- They’re also heat resistant, so you can place hot pans on them without bothering them.
- Quartz countertops are non-porous, so they’re highly stained and bacteria-resistant. This makes them very easy to keep clean.
- Because quartz is man-made, it comes in various colors and patterns. You can find the perfect quartz countertop to match any kitchen design.
- Quartz countertops are low maintenance. There’s no need to seal or wax them; they’re resistant to scratches and chips.
- Quartz countertops are expensive. They typically cost about $100 per square foot, which is significantly more than granite or laminate countertops.
- Quartz is man-made, so it’s not as eco-friendly as natural materials like granite or wood.
- It is so hard it can be challenging to cut and install. You’ll need to hire a professional if you want quartz countertops in your kitchen.
- Susceptible to chipping and scratching if it’s not cared for properly. You’ll need to be careful with sharp objects and use placemats or cutting boards to protect the surface.
Overall, quartz countertops are a beautiful and durable option for your kitchen. They’re easy to take care of and come in various colors and patterns.
But they’re also expensive and difficult to install, so weigh the pros and cons before deciding.
Pros And Cons Of Granite Countertops
Before deciding, you should know a few pros and cons of granite countertops.
- Granite is one of the most complex materials on earth, second only to diamonds.
- This makes it an excellent choice for countertops because it is highly durable and unlikely to scratch or chip.
- Granite is also heat resistant, so you can place hot pans on it without worrying about damage.
- Granite is a porous material that can absorb stains if not properly sealed.
- It is also quite expensive, although prices have decreased in recent years.
Carefully weigh the pros and cons before deciding if you are considering granite countertops for your kitchen or bathroom.
Granite counters are an excellent choice for your kitchen.
Which Is Better For You, Granite Or Quartz Countertops
There are a few key things to remember when deciding between granite and quartz countertops.
Quartz countertops, often called engineered stone countertops, are similar in appearance and performance.
Both quartz and granite countertop materials are worth investing in.
First, think about what your priorities are on a countertop.
- If you’re looking for something durable and easy to care for, then granite is a good choice.
- On the other hand, quartz might be a better option if you’re looking for something more stylish and unique.
Second, consider your budget.
Granite tends to be more expensive than quartz but requires less maintenance over time.
- If you’re looking for a countertop that will last for years without needing much care, then granite is a good choice.
- However, quartz might be better if you work on a tight budget.
Third, think about the overall look you want for your kitchen.
- If you’re going for a more traditional look, then granite is a good choice.
- Quartz is a better option if you want something more contemporary and unique.
The choice between granite and quartz countertops comes down to your personal preferences.
If you’re looking for something durable and easy to care for, then granite is a good choice. However, quartz might be better if you want something more stylish and unique.
Which Is More Durable?
Quartz countertops are more durable than granite. They are less likely to crack or chip and are heat resistant.
On the other hand, granite is a softer stone and more susceptible to damage. It is also more challenging to repair if it does become damaged.
Quartz countertops are also less likely to stain than granite.
Which Is More Expensive, Quartz Or Granite Countertops?
Quartz countertops are made from a man-made material, while granite countertops are made from natural stone. Because of this, granite countertops are typically more expensive than quartz countertops. However, both options offer a variety of benefits that make them worth the investment.
Why Partner With MacLaren Kitchen and Bath for Your Countertop Project?
If you’re looking for new countertops, you may wonder if quartz or granite is the right choice for your home. Both materials have unique benefits that make them ideal for different projects.
At MacLaren Kitchen and Bath, we partner with the best granite and quartz countertop manufacturers to bring you the highest quality products at an affordable price. We’re proud to offer a wide selection of quartz and granite countertops so that you can find the perfect option for your home.
You can visit our showroom from Mondays-Saturdays for more options and selections. You can also call us at (610) 436-5436 for further details and queries about our quartz vs. granite countertops.